During the months of June and July church members will be hosting Small Group Bible Conversations in their homes. These are small group conversations that engage with scripture and with current topics. Each of the small groups is led by facilitators.
Below you will see the topics and scriptures that will be discussed. The sessions are scheduled on a week night, from 7:00 – 8:30 pm. These include time for some light refreshment and gathering along with focused conversation on the scripture and topic. The purpose of these is to provide for the space to explore these topics biblically and within a Christian community that holds mutual respect and value of one another and each other’s views. A link to registration is at the bottom of this page.
Topics and Scriptures
- Environmental Justice. Genesis 1 & 2, Two creation accounts
- LGBTQ Inclusion. Acts 8:26-40, Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch.
- Racial Reconciliation. Luke 10:25-37, Parable of the Good Samaritan
- Ethnic Justice. Jonah, Biblical story of the Prophet
Athens – Five Points Area
Host Home: Jill & Rick Dawson
Address: 290 Lullwater Road, Athens, GA 30606
Facilitators: Emily Harbin & Bill McDonald
Monday, June 11: Session 1
Monday, June 25: Session 2
Monday, July 16: Session 3
Monday, July 30: Session 4
Watkinsville – East
Host Home: Tom & Debbie Brown
Address: 1320 Broadlands Drive, Watkinsville, GA 30677
Facilitators: Chris Conley & Wayne Jordan
Tuesday, June 12: Session 1
Tuesday, June 19: Session 2
Tuesday, July 10: Session 3
Tuesday, July 24: Session 4
Watkinsville – West
Host Home: Jeff & Anna Randa
Address: 1201 Felton Drive, Watkinsville, GA 30677
Facilitators: Craig Ellis & Ken Greene
** Child care is available at this location. You are asked to sign up for child care when selecting this location if you have a need for child care.
Wednesday, June 6: Session 1
Wednesday, June 20: Session 2
Wednesday, July 11: Session 3
Wednesday, July 25: Session 4
Host Home: Molli and Tom Goggin
Address: 105 Melbourne Place, Athens, GA 30606
Facilitators: Jennifer Baxley & Brandon Brock
Thursday, June 21: Session 1
Thursday, June 28: Session 2
Thursday, July 12: Session 3
Thursday, July 26: Session 4
Register online today or contact Heather Swank in the church office to register.
Glad you asked . . . .
- Where do the groups meet? Our Small Groups meet in the homes of church members.
- Which group do I choose? All groups are co-ed groups, and are not restricted in any way. One location also is offering child care on site for families with young children. We do ask that you sign up ahead of time if you will be requesting child care.
- What time do the groups meet? Meeting time is 7:00 – 8:30 pm. This is the same for all locations.
- Do I register? We encourage people to sign up for a group, so that the host knows how many to expect. Register on-line or by calling the church office. You are welcome, and encouraged to attend even if you haven’t registered.
- May I attend different groups? Yes, you may attend different groups. People often remain with one group for all sessions.
- What if I am out of town on one of the dates my group meets? Attend as many as your schedule allows; one does not have to attend all sessions in order to participate.
- What do I bring? Bring your Bible. Bring a guest. Usually, some light refreshments or dessert is served as part of the meeting experience, but you do not need to bring anything to contribute.