At FBC Athens we believe we have a responsibility to respond to the needs of our community during inclement weather. We will now be supporting the Salvation Army Family Shelter program should they exceed capacity at their location during emergency weather situations. They will contact our Minister of Missions in the event that there is a need for an overflow shelter based on our agreed procedures. There are many opportunities to serve on our Emergency Response Team:
- Supper (If needed)
- Overnight Hosts
- Getting guests to FBC
Emergency Response Policies & Procedures
- FBC Athens will act as an overflow emergency shelter during single digit temperatures or emergency weather situations (i.e. hurricanes, severe storms, winter storms.). Opening as an overflow shelter is at the discretion of the Minister of Missions.
- Salvation Army will handle all intake of guests. (Guests must meet Salvation Army intake criteria.)
- Individuals will remain at Salvation Army or be referred to Bigger Vision, who has a similar arrangement with Athens FUMC as a back-up shelter
- FBC Athens Emergency Response Team Volunteers will:
- Transport guests to FBC Athens (only after they have completed the intake process at Salvation Army).
- Prepare FBC Athens for guests (gather supplies, set up rooms, etc.)
- Prepare and serve meals to guests (dinner if needed, breakfast will be with ODB)
- Act as overnight hosts (at least 2 males and 2 females- an FBC staff member will be present when available)
- Guests will stay in the youth/IHN area, 3rd floor. They will enter through the single-access staircase
- Guests are not allowed to wander around the building or leave the 3rd floor area
- Guests will sleep in classrooms on mats (sourced from non-profits in Athens who have extras)
- If overflow shelter is open for more than one evening, showers will be made available.
- When the decision is made to open up as an overflow shelter, Athens-Clarke County Police will be notified so that they can monitor the area.
- Shelter volunteers will be trained according to these and Salvation Army Policies.
- Once the overflow shelter ends, we will not be open as a shelter until the next Emergency Weather situation (when Salvation Army needs the assistance.)
If you’re ready to join us now, go ahead and sign up. If you are interested in serving on our Emergency Response Team or would like to receive more information, please contact Brandon Pendry, our Minister of Missions.
Brandon Pendry | email@example.com | 706-548-1359