Short Stories by Jesus
Small Group Bible Conversations meet in homes for exploration and conversation about scripture and current topics. All sessions are scheduled from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. on various weeknights. There are three locations from which to choose, and the schedule is listed in detail below.
These gatherings are opportunities for adults to come together in small groups to explore and discuss some of the short stories that Jesus told, as recorded in the Gospels. Small group settings, hosted in homes, provides for hospitality, building community, and listening and learning together. The material is based on the book, Short Stories by Jesus, by Amy-Jill Levine. If you would want to purchase a copy, it is available in paperback on Amazon.
“Short Stories” & References
* The Pearl of Great Price: Matthew 13:45-46
* The Mustard Seed: Mark 4:30-32; Matthew 13:31-32; Luke 13:18-19
* The Laborers in the Vineyard: Matthew 20:1-16
* The Widow and the Judge: Luke 18:1-8
The groups meet from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. The general break down is for 30 minutes to be devoted to relationship building, fellowship, and some type of snack/dessert. The other hour is to be focused on the topic, including discussion of the scripture and the questions provided.
Locations and Dates
Host Home: Helen & Milton Mills
Address: 445 Forest Road, Athens, GA 30605
Facilitators: Wayne Jordan & Menda Lambeth
Monday, June 17: Session 1
Monday, June 24: Session 2
Monday, July 8: Session 3
Monday, July 22: Session 4
Athens – Five Points Area
Host Home: Jill & Rick Dawson
Address: 290 Lullwater Road, Athens, GA 30606
Facilitators: Daniel Hulsey & Connie Ivester
Tuesday, June 11: Session 1
Tuesday, June 25: Session 2
Tuesday, July 9: Session 3
Tuesday, July 23: Session 4
Host Home: Zach & Rachel Graves
Address:1170 Hollow Creek Lane, Watkinsville, GA 30677
Facilitators: Chris Conley & Emily Harbin
Wednesday, June 12: Session 1
Wednesday, June 26: Session 2
Wednesday, July 17: Session 3
Wednesday, July 31: Session 4
Register for the group of your choice by filling out the form below:
Glad you asked . . . .
- Where do the groups meet? Our Small Groups meet in the homes of church members.
- Which group do I choose? All groups are co-ed groups and are not restricted in any way.
- What time do the groups meet? Meeting time is 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. This is the same for all locations.
- Do I register? We encourage people to sign up for a group, so that the host knows how many to expect. Register on-line or by calling the church office. You are welcome and encouraged to attend even if you haven’t registered.
- May I attend different groups? Yes, you may attend different groups. People often remain with one group for all sessions.
- What if I am out of town on one of the dates my group meets? Attend as many as your schedule allows; one does not have to attend all sessions in order to participate.
- What do I bring? Bring your Bible. Bring a guest. Usually, some light refreshments or dessert is served as part of the meeting experience, but you do not need to bring anything to contribute.